Councillor Gerard Brewster
27 Combs Lane
01449 615527 / 07709 231410
The Town of Stowmarket is very dear to my heart, it is where I was born and grew up and although much has changed since my early days it is still the place I am very proud to call home and where, with my wife Audrey, I enjoy living and being involved with and working for the community.
We have three adult children, two grandsons and a younger granddaughter.
Although retired I still carry out some part time work at Combs Ford Surgery.
My first steps as a Councillor began in 1973 when I was elected to the Stowmarket Urban District Council and to the successor Town Council and subsequently in the 1976 elections to Mid Suffolk District Council as well. I remained with both authorities until the early eighties when I took on the role of Group Scout Leader with 1st Combs Scout Group, an appointment I held on two different occasions, in between which I had responsibility for coordinating the delivery of a new headquarters building for the group. I then became District Commissioner for Stowmarket District Scouts for a four-year term.
I rejoined Stowmarket Town Council and Mid Suffolk District Council following election in May 2011 and again in May 2015.
I have had the tremendous privilege of serving as Town Mayor during two terms of office in 1978/79 and again more recently in 2014/15.
My current Town Council appointments are:
- Member of the Planning, Consultation and Strategy Committee
- Member of the Service Delivery Committee
- Chairman of the Audit and Governance Committee
- Member of the Grants Panel
My District Council Appointments are:
- Portfolio Holder for Economy and Stowmarket Regeneration
- Member of the Development Control Committee A
- Member of the Planning Referrals Committee
- Member of the Village of the Year Awards Panel
- Joint Lead Member of the Economy Steering Board
My other outside appointments and interests include:
- Acting Chairman, Director & Trustee of the Museum of East Anglian Life
- Chairman of Stowmarket District Scout Executive (with effect from 22.06.15)
- President of 1st Combs Scout Group
- Member of the Friends of Pikes Meadow Committee
- Member of Stowmarket Rotary Club