I came to live in Suffolk 24 years ago. Firstly in Elmswell and then in Stowmarket. I was born and raised in North London, but always felt that I was a country girl at heart. Between living in London and then the wilds of Southern Ireland before coming here, I feel that I have experienced living in a variety of environments. Coming to live in Stowmarket I felt that I had arrived at where I felt I belonged.
I have two grown up children, three grandchildren and two great-grandchildren, all living still in London. They keep me young at heart and in touch with the issues of young people.
I have been a community psychiatric nurse all my working life and was able to retire at 55. I then trained as a counsellor and now work in private practice two days a week. I feel that in this I got a greater understanding of the struggle that people go through and their need to have a fulfilling life.
I have always had an interest and commitment to the environment and get involved when I can. I hope to bring this and my enthusiasm to my role in the Town Council. I feel that Stowmarket is a great town to live in and has a lot to offer. As this is my first time on the Council I feel excited at the prospect of being part of making it a place that all would want to live in.
This is my 4th year on the Town Council and my current appointments are:
- Member of the Operations & Strategy Committee;
- Member of the Personnel Committee;
- Member of the Environmental Forum;
- A Trustee on the Board with the Museum of East Anglian Life; and
- I often attend the Planning & Development Committee meetings as a non-Committee Member to keep abreast with developments in Stowmarket.
My other outside interests are:
* I am an Elder at the United Reformed Church in Stowmarket
* I am a Town Pastor;
* I am a member of Churches Together;
* I am a member of the Suffolk for Mental Health Voluntary and Statutory Partnership;
* I am a Committee member for the Suffolk Association for Counselling;
* I sing with the Combined Church Choir; and
* I work at the Phoenix Counselling Practice as Practice Lead, on the management committee and as a counsellor.